Monday 8 October 2012

The Night before the Night of....

I knew this time would come, and as i rechecked my bags, kit, clothes, and mental state, I realise I am relatively calm, with just an undertow of adrenaline. We are just waiting to find out our start time - sometime from 3am Wednesday 10th October 2012... Wonder how I’ll sleep tonight..
I can honestly say I am not in the form I was in 5 weeks ago, the life events overtook the training alot, but I can also say I have done the best I can, I can swim an hour at a time, and I am fully connected to my body and it’s ability to do extraordinary things.
Someone just reminded me that it probably won’t be as hard as childbirth (27 hours for Jess), or my Karate Blackbelt - (5 days of torture culminating in 12 x 2 minute sequential fights, black eyes, bruised ribs and shins, torn up feet and black forearms from blocking too hard).
Yes it probably wont be that hard...but it’s tough in a different form...swimming in the dark of night...with air temperatures of 9 degrees and sea temperatures under 16 degrees....on seas battling between a warm air front from the north east and a cold air front from the south...trying to warm up on the boat...dealing with seasickness which is apparently inevitable....while trying to keep down a sandwich or two...Yes it will be some adventure.
The departure of my special friend Claire back to Vancouver has meant that I had a space on the boat for a supporter, two wonderful young men jumped at the chance - my nephew Oliver whose enthusiasm for my challenge was visible on holiday when he asked me daily about my successes and learnings, and my son Ben who has been telling people since I first started training that he was coming on the boat - he manifested this one for himself!!
So, with that level of support, with the wonderful other 3 Seabreezers and our fab coach Peter all ready to set off for our big Channel swim, and a recent reminder of how fortunate I am to be alive, fit, healthy and loved - how could I be anything other than grateful, anticipatory and excited.
One more sleep, One team, One crossing, One hour at a time, One arm in front of the other, Just keep Swimming...
www.Justgiving.com/Nikki-Watkins-Seabreezers

No comments:

Post a Comment