Wednesday 26 October 2011

Back to basics

Interesting, after an extraordinary breakthrough swim, I have had two weeks with very little swimming except in a small hotel pool in Prague while running a leadership session, I cancelled my tuesday lesson due to roofing our new log cabin (ow our knees). I finally swam properly yesterday with guidance as usual from Frosty, one armed catchup and two armed catch up drills, a reminder again of how easily bad habits kick in and how we need to keep revisiting the basics to help us grow.

This theme led me to think about one of my colleagues who has apparently been catalysed by conversations around my swimming challenge, and has signed up for some zen swimming lessons, (way to go Phil). Surprise, surprise his first lesson will take him back to the basics of floating and gliding in the water, I know, I did it for months!

To expand our skills, perhaps we do sometimes need to approach learning with the simplicity and wonder of youth, to clear our minds, and just embrace 'what is', our kids can teach us a thing or two about that! I'm off swimming in the 50M pool at high wycombe tomorrow, someone pass me the armbands....

No comments:

Post a Comment